Mid Term Essay

I belong to nowhere. I believe  I cannot be refined into one simple location. Though 18 years of struggle, I met lots of people, been lots of places, lived in different places, lived in different houses. Every experience and relationship was crucial and formed my identity. Belonging nowhere sometimes makes me unsettled and restless. I am a foreigner every time. But it also has its advantages. Traveling around the world as a foreigner, I found out how to find calm from the unknown This feat has made me to not fear making new relationships or moving to different places. I am certainly a nomad, and I like to be that way.

I cannot forget the day when I first met Jisung Lee. He was my classmate in 7th grade. My first day in school, I was sitting on the chair quietly, since I didn't know anyone. All elementary school friends went to a different classroom. Then, I found Jisung, watching comics(webtoons) about cycling. I had no interest at all about cycling, but I wanted to make friends. So, I interrupted him and asked about the webtoon. His enthusiastic smiling while explaining about the bike is unforgettable. His explanation pulled me into the world of cycling, and we are now best teammates to cyclewith. No need to talk, we know where to go, when to attack, and when to relax. Three years of cycling with him has make us into one big train. His short talk had a potential to connect me with his enthusiasm, and I am so thankful for him to bring me into the world of cycling.

I want to be treated as someone special. I know that this might seem broad and arrogant, but I know that I love when others consider me as a special kid. I am the youngest kid in my family, and I grew up getting all the love from my parents and brothers. Therefore, I am not used to mean words or harsh criticism. Of course every one hates to be criticized, but I sometimes even behave worse intentionally after. I also try to observe only good parts of others, because I know how it feels. I don't think there is a reason not to complement good parts and make one feel happy to be treated as someone special. This helped me making great relationships and maintain them strongly.

My brother never skis. When our family plans a ski trip, he always stays in the hotel or waits at the lobby. During a ski trip when I was young, I really wanted to play with my brother since he only came to Seoul twice a year from boarding school in the US. I asked him to ski together, but he never accepted my request. I was so angry, and didn't talk with him for the whole trip. I even cried, and told my parents that he ignores me. But they didn't help me with it. After few years, I heard a shocking fact. When my brother was 12 years old, he went on a ski trip with his friends. But one of his best friends had a crash accident, and lost his eyesight. The trauma of that day made my brother to not ski anymore. I suddenly felt sorry for him, because I had a feeling of anger about not going ski with me. But for him, everytime I mention it, he has to think about the trauma. So, I apologized, and we were able to get even closer and understood each other's sadness and the past.

I don't understand the meaning of my family. We consider family as the most important part of life. Family cares for each other, and loves each other. But why? For me, I spent very little time with my brothers. They were studying abroad since I was born, and I could only meet them during summer vacation. Maybe, I might have spent more time with my best friend since kindergarten than with my brothers. However, I could definitely say that my brothers are much higher is priority for me than any of my friends. The word "Family" includes much deeper meaning than its literal meaning. I cannot come up with nice explanation, so I will try to figure it out.

댓글