Life is like a riding a bicycle


Who am I? 


     Frankly, when somebody asks me to talk about myself, there is no immediate word that comes to my mind. So it is always difficult for me to introduce myself. When I'm asked to tell you who I am, I don't know how to explain it or what to start with. 
     Still, I'm going to talk about my biggest interest, for others to know more about me. 
     I love riding a bike. I'm really into it. 

     There has been a bicycle boom among teenagers in Korea about 4years ago. Perhaps the biggest reason was the webtoon "Wind Breaker."
wind breaker 웹툰에 대한 이미지 검색결과
Webtoon "Wind Breaker"

     Windbreaker is a webtoon basically about fixed gear bike and a variety of related thrilling stories. This fast, race-made bike, not the one that was always used for school, gave me a new awareness of the bike. After this webtoon became popular,  friends in my school started riding bicycles one by one. I was also one of them. I went to many places with my friends, and once I rode my bike to Chuncheon with my friends. It was a fabulous experience, and I will post about it someday. 

My bike😍😍


     That's how much I loved bicycles, and I spent a lot of money on bicycle parts and related books. Of course, the time spent on bikes is countless. As time pass, friends no longer ride bicycles one by one, but I still love my bike so much.
At one point, the bicycle was more than a hobby for me. It's like a way out of my tedious life. If the school is so tiring, harsh and stressful, I drag my bike outside from home at dawn without thinking(around 2 AM from 3 AM). If I ride my bike to the river and run down the empty road at dawn, I feel like every problem with me is flying away. At that moment, it's a competition against myself. How fast can I ride? The moment when I break my top speed record with all my strength, YOU CAN'T IMAGINE IT.(now, it's 45km/h) It's even hard to breathe properly, but the harder I ride, the happier I feel. 

     Also, the bicycle made me some great new relationships. I have a brother who I can share everything about me. He is a college student now, but still, talk a lot with me. The first place I met this brother was in a bicycle shop. He liked to ride a bike like me, so he got to work at a bicycle shop. He is nice and he listens to other people's stories and gives great advice. We got to know each other by riding a bike together, and helped me with my problems a lot. Although there was no overlap with me, I was able to meet someone I really appreciate because of our common interest: bicycles. It's not just him! I was able to meet lots of others, too.  


     Like this, bicycles have introduced me to a new life. I will always love my bike, and my ultimate goal is to go Busan with my bike. It will take about 3 to 4 days, but I want to achieve it before I graduate KMLA! 
It's sad that the time to ride bikes has decreased a lot since I came to KMLA: it is impossible to ride in school. So when I go home from KMLA, I go out the Han River every dawn, and practice for my final goal: 600km in 3 days. If you want to see me outside of school, wait at the Han River! Then I bet you can easily spot me, a guy riding a bike fiercely in an empty road! 

댓글

  1. Good post. So you and Hayoung should start a KMLA Bike Gang? Who's bike is better? I like the idea that bikes became more popular due a webtoon... but then I also wondered... haven't bikes always been popular? Korea does seem to have less biking than Japan and China. I wonder why that is (mountains?).

    When you mentioned "brother" I thought you meant an actual blood relative, so be careful not to confuse readers. Generally, good writing but try to inspect each sentence one time before posting. A few minor grammatical things I'm sure you'd catch with a second look. ; )

    답글삭제

댓글 쓰기